Land of the Beardies Social Club
The Land of the Beardies Social Club a not for profit organisation and was formed in 2006 with a view to maintaining the Land of the Beardies History and Festival as a feature Event within the Glen Innes Severn Local Government Area.
- Telecross in conjunction with Red cross
- Catering for Garage sales, Clearing Sales, Race Meetings
- Catering for Weddings, Parties, and Festivals
- Catering at the Glen Innes Sale yards
Maintaining and promoting the Hall for Community Use
Land of the Beardies Social Club Inc National Flood Appeal
Glen Innes Farmers Markets - Weekly Saturdays 8.00am to 12.00noon
So who were the Beardies?
The most widely held view – but not the only one – was that the term referred to two stockman , John Duval and Chandler (first name unknown) who guided the earliest European settlers to the district.
According to RB Walker’s “Old New England” the two men were much in demand and were paid five pounds a trip’ for their excellent services”.
Duval a 28 year old farmer from Staffordshire, had been sentenced to death in 1825 for breaking and entering a house and stealing some clothes but his penalty had been commuted to life in imprisonment in the colony.
In 1834 he had received a ticket – of – leave and was working on Captain Henry Dumaresq’s Station Tillbuster near Armidale which included the mountain that now bears his name. Dumaresq’s brother in Law Sir Ralph Darling was governor of the colony at the time. While there is no evidence that the two men themselves ventured much further north of what is now Glencoe, Duval and his boss Joseph Daley, had established Marowan (near Glencoe) as an outstation of Tillbuster.
There is much less known of Chandler who was assigned to Peter McIntyre. Chandler was based at Ruengurer or “ Guira” Station about 12km northwest of what is now Guyra township and developed an extensive knowledge of the east.
According to history volume written by William Gardner between 1842 and 1854 the situation of these men being isolated and seldom at that time in the company of white men , caused them to be regardless in the use of the razor, consequently they in the course of time wore long beards, the early settlers of this part of the country were recommended to apply to the Beardies, to select suitable runs either for sheep farming or cattle grazing hence arose the name.
Edited by Tim Hughes
A selection of fantastic beards from the Beardies Festival
New Web Site:
Wayne and Kayline McCarthy Concrete and Aggregate
Grafton Road Glen Innes
Mobile:0428 669 123
Office: 02 673 21484
Fax 02 6732 4428